#RPGaDAY 2016 Day 8: Books!

Hardcover, softcover, digital? What is your preference?

Personally I tend to use a combination of the two. I GM a lot but rarely do so in my own home, and in my own little effort I prefer to use Uber instead of buying my own car so transporting books can be a problem. (Some games even have a minis component so that makes things worse!) In these cases, I find that digital copies have been invaluable for the continuing health of my back. Them RPG books can be heavy.

My most recent digital acquisition is Far Away Land, which reminds me a lot of Adventure Time.

With that being said, I can simply digest things better when they are in dead-tree format. I suppose part of it is having the tactile element of flipping the pages and smelling that oh-so-good book scent as you read. (Pro tip: If the Amazon service went through China, don't smell it. It smells funky.) So for new rulesets and such, I tend to prefer having a hardcover version so that I can spend hours at home digesting the book.

I originally bought +David McGrogan 's Yoon-Suin
in digital form, but I liked it so much that I had
it made into a hard cover. (Lulu has softcover versions!)

Finally, I tend to look for and buy gaming books that are simply gorgeous to look at. These are the books that I plan to keep in my library for decades, and I want to make sure that the ones in this category age well. I may never run them, but I always enjoy just reading them in this format. 

Some of my books in the "absolutely beautiful" category: +Zak Sabbath 's
A Red & Pleasant land and Maze of the Blue Medusa, plus the Degenesis set.
I am too young to have played AD&D, but these ones are sure to stand the
test of time. Plus, they have gold-gilded pages! Hooray! XD
Anyway, to answer the question, I tend to switch formats. Although I don't see myself getting softcovers too often, this is more because of the prevalence of hardbounds over softbounds in the hobby as opposed to my personal preference.

Comments

Popular Posts

Manila Encounters

COCKAMANIA!