#RPGaDAY 2016 Day 9: Wherein I rant for a little bit

Beyond the game, what's involved in an ideal session?

Wow. I had a surprisingly difficult time for this one. As a GM, my head is typically focused on the game during the session, so it was quite difficult to think of something other than the game. But since we are on the topic of time, I would have to pick punctuality for this one. And it is a surprisingly difficult thing to expect of people from the land of the infamous pinoy time.

So pardon me for the rant here.



Look, we all understand that on the list of important things to-do, gaming is not at the top. That would usually go to family, or relationships, or work (although I pity the foo' forced to work on a Sunday.) But once you agree to a gaming date and time, I would like to think that it is at least in that list. I know it's just a game, but ZOMG, this is not just your time you're wasting here. Other players show up on time. The GM shows up on time and spent time preparing for the game to boot. 

And this is doubly irritating for last-minute cancellations. Like I mentioned earlier, I understand if something more important takes precedence. If I am informed of this ahead of time, this is no harm, no foul, and I will have time to arrange how things would go without you. You will even get invited back because you were considerate of our time!

But I have had people who cancelled on me an hour before, with such bullshit reasons as "I have to drive my mom to the airport." Really? This thing that could have totally been planned wasn't, and now our actual planned event has to adjust on your behalf? [D]uck you, man.

Protip: I like to run games for new players. I feel that I run a table that caters well to people who want to learn. I even give a lot of leeway for people. If I advertise the game at 3pm, I will actually wait until 4pm and not be mad. But if you flake out on me on the first session, I'm not inviting you back.

You see, it may just be a game, but it's not just your game. It's other people's game, too. Don't waste their time.

Comments

Popular Posts

Manila Encounters

COCKAMANIA!