#RPGaDAY 2016 Day 12: Undecided

What game is your group likely to play next? Why?

This has actually been on my mind a lot. Even as I run a lot of other games for different people, my actual core group is on hiatus having just finished our D&D 5E Eberron game. In the interim, most of the players are now under +Phil Corpuz, and we are going through a run through of the Tyranny of Dragons. That should keep us going for a year or so, but after that (or sometime before that finishes), I need to set up my replacement game, too. On the plus side, that's quite a bit of time to figure it out.

Currently I am chomping through my copy of Degenesis - Rebirth. The system looks simple enough, and the books definitely are gorgeous. But a grim, post-apocalypse grimdarkery is a hard sell for my group. They prefer something that is lighter in tone than this. So maybe I can reserve this for a different group.

Another game I'm exploring is Exalted 3E. For some reason the 2E did not really appeal to me, but this time I am intrigued at the idea of demigods finding their place in society. I kind of want to do it in a way that evokes the Philippine Epics such as the journey of Agyo and Lam-Ang. My hurdle for this, on the other hand, is that it's not a simple system by any means. It will take awhile for me to absorb it.

I can also go for an OSR module. Both Qelong and Maze of the Blue Medusa are settings that I want to tell stories in. I could even go bonkers and run them with D&D 5e! So that's definitely something that has been on my mind.

Finally, the safe bet for me would be to go for Out of the Abyss. I have the adventure in my bookshelf,, I am fond of D&D demons as antagonists, and 5th Edition is always easy to pitch to the core group. Unlike the OSR stuff above, there will also be no conversions involved so all I have to do is to know the module enough to adapt to unusual PC circumstance.

We'll see how it plays out.

Comments

Popular Posts

Manila Encounters

COCKAMANIA!